Sunday 6 January 2019

The case of the Killer Divorce - Barbara Venkataraman

The Case of the Killer Divorce (Jamie Quinn Mystery #2)The Case of the Killer Divorce by Barbara Venkataraman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the second in the Jamie Quinn mystery series. I think I said when I reviewed the first a day or so ago that this was a classic cosy mystery. In many ways it is, it's an easy read with fun and quirky characters and although there is a murder, it's of a very 'gentle' variety (I do realise how odd that sounds when talking about a murder). In other ways though, it's not really a cosy mystery at all. While the cosy part holds true, there isn't really a puzzle type mystery to try and solve. There are only really two people who could be the 'murderer' and it's fairly clear who the guilty party might be. To be honest though, for me at least, that didn't really matter.
In many ways, the murder plays a secondary role to that of Jamie's life. In the course of this story, she gains not only a boyfriend, but we find out a lot about her long-lost father. In many ways, what would probably be the sub-plot in other books, becomes the main storyline in this and the mystery is secondary.
I actually really enjoyed this quick read. I like the main recurring characters. Jamie is great, as is her friend Grace and there seems to be potential for love interest Kip. By far and away the most entertaining member of the cast is private detective Marmaduke, who, for probably quite obvious reasons usually goes by the shorter version of his name; Duke.
I'm enjoying this quick little series. The plots aren't taxing on the little grey cells, but they are certainly entertaining. I'll no doubt be dipping into the next one soon.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment