Wednesday 19 September 2018

The Darkest Hour - Lauren Smith

The Darkest Hour (The Surrender Series Book 4)The Darkest Hour by Lauren Smith
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I often think about what I'm going to write in these reviews before I start them. I had been going to say that it felt as though I'd been waiting for a long time for Royce's story in the Surrender Series. I thought that it might be worth looking how long it's been, I read the last in the series The Gilded Chain back in November 2015, so very nearly three years ago. It's not only felt like a long time, but it has also been a long time. Some things though, are worth the wait.
I probably should have reread the previous books, to get my head around who is who and how they fit into the storyline. It didn't take long for things to come back to me and I soon remembered who was who. I remember being keen to read Royce's story, as I liked his character and I wasn't disappointed in this book. Royce and Kenzie seemed like the perfect match. The only real question was how they had managed to keep their hands off one another whilst colleagues previously.
The sparks fly in this book, both between our hero and heroine and as they deal with Rusian Fossil smugglers. I don't think I've ever thought about trade in fossils and bones before, but I'm sure if there's money to be made then there will be people who will exploit it. The Russian setting added a bit of a different feel to this book and there was even a little cameo from the lead from another of Lauren's books. (Rurik)
This is a sexy, fast-paced story with lots of action. It's easy to get swept up in the danger than Kenzie and Royce find themselves in. If I were being completely honest, I would have prefered to find out more about what happens between them after they return to America and have to keep their relationship under wraps. It didn't detract from the story really to miss that though.
This book is well worth a read and a great addition to the Surrender series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment