Wednesday 18 December 2013

School holidays are here

It's the first day of the summer holidays (how mad does that sound in December?) and already I'm finding myself having conversations like this:
Me - "Your sister won't go down for a nap, so I'm going to stay with her until she falls asleep.  Don't come in"
Kai - "What if something bad happens?"
Me - "Like what?"
Kai - "Like Mahe hits me or something?"
Me - "That you deal with, if there's blood, or an arm or leg comes off, or we have an earthquake, then you can disturb me, otherwise stay out, I'll only be a few minutes....."

Of course seconds after I went in Mahe appeared at the bedroom door, dealing with a shoe emergency that couldn't wait. Sigh.  Eventually I got her down for a nap, having two big brothers off school is just far too exciting though.

I could have left her to cry, but there are two small problems with that.  Firstly I don't do leaving them to cry or controlled crying, or any of those sleep training techniques that involve tears (hers or mine). The second problem would be that she can now climb out of her cot, this shouldn't come as a surprise seeing as she climbs everything else, but she's never bothered before. The fact that she doesn't very often sleep in it might have something to do with that though. I may have to come up with a new nap time plan for the next six weeks or so.............


1 comment:

  1. :-) Oh the joy of summer (in DECEMBER?!) holidays and children off school!

    ReplyDelete