Saturday 16 February 2019

Murder at the Old House - Betty Rowlands

Murder at the Old House (Melissa Craig, #13)Murder at the Old House by Betty Rowlands
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I love this series. Each one just gets better and better. This time, the story takes place away from Melissa's village. Her father has been murdered and her mother is the prime suspect. Mel hasn't seen her parents for over twenty years (possibly nearly thirty?) as they threw her out when she got pregnant with her son Simon and wasn't married.
Although the story is a murder mystery (one which I didn't actually solve this time, I was barking up the wrong tree completely) much of the actual story is about Mel and her relationship with her parents. We have been told that they are estranged previously and why, but it has only really been mentioned in passing. Now we not only get to meet her mother, but we find out more about both Mel's past and her parent's relationship.
We also see much more of Mel's agent, Joe in this book. He has been a background character in previous stories, particularly because Mel has wanted to keep him at arm's length. In this book, he not only features quite prominently but Mel herself come to rely upon him more.
There are another two books still to go in this series and I have one earlier one to go back and read. I'm loving them and I'll be disappointed when they finally come to an end. The Mel Craig series is highly enjoyable.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment