Wednesday 20 February 2019

Missing Pieces: A White Creek Novel - Tori Fox

Missing Pieces
Missing Pieces by Tori Fox

I WAS READY TO START OVER.
At least that's what I keep telling myself.
Divorced at 26 and driving to Florida to move back in with my parents.
Until my car breaks down in Smalltown USA.
Not the place meant for a city girl.
Until I meet the cocky asshole that is fixing my car.
I should probably stay away but the pull is too strong.
He was just meant to fix my car but I think he might fix my heart.

My Review

Missing Pieces: A White Creek Novel (The White Creek #1)Missing Pieces: A White Creek Novel by Tori Fox
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A good 3 1/2 star read.
I've read a few books set in small towns in America, where someone from the city comes and then falls in love both with it and someone who lives there. This one was one of the better-written ones.
I have to admit that to someone who grew up in the UK and now lives in New Zealand, the idea of being stranded in a town because your car has broken down and needs thousands spending on it for repair is a bit of an odd concept. A day or so maybe, but not long enough to take a job in order to pay for the repairs. Does public transport just not cover these areas? I'm guessing that it's mostly down to scale, America being so much bigger and taking longer to travel across.
I liked Harper, she had been royally screwed over by her ex-husband and is running home to her parents' post-divorce. Of course, this means that she's also carrying lots of emotional baggage. Her new love interest, mechanic Eastern, also has similar baggage, so they make a good pair. There's always a danger with this kind of pairing, that they are too damaged for one another, but it seemed to be a good balance.
There was quite a bit of going to and fro, particularly for Harper. Would she stay there or not. At one point it seems everyone thinks she has changed her mind (including her) and they get angry with her. It was a little odd because as far as I could see, there was no indication that she was going this way before it all blew up. Like many romance books, much of the upset and hurt could have been avoided with more communication. I know that there might not be a story with no misunderstandings and conflict, but in this case, I think that a little more talking would have helped the storyline.
I'd certainly be interested in reading the next book in this series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment