Thursday 7 June 2018

Overruled by Fate - Leila Snow

Overruled by FateOverruled by Fate by Leila Snow
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book ticked all of the boxes for me from the very start. I love historically set novels especially when an effort is made to evoke the period. In Overruled by fate, this isn't achieved by the language that people use, but I felt the attitudes and ideas fit the time very well. On the whole, the book didn't try too hard, by throwing archaic phrases. Although there were a couple of times that modern expressions or language did creep in, it didn't detract from the whole read.

I was completely immersed in this book until around the halfway mark. Unfortunately, around then, something happened. I'm not sure if it was me, or the style of the writing, but it didn't seem to be flowing quite as well. There was a little too much telling rather than showing. It's a real shame because I think that aside, this would have been a solid five star read.

Overall, I loved the story. The author didn't pull any punches when it came to the characters behaving as they would have been expected to at the time. There were no convenient get-out clauses for awkward or unpleasant duty and I felt the read and storyline was much richer for it.

This is a fantastic story, well told and one that takes you on a very emotional journey of highs and lows. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would highly recommend it to lovers of historical fiction and romance.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment