Monday 15 July 2024

Corpse in the Craftsman Cottage - Lori Pollard-Johnson

Corpse in the Craftsman Cottage

Thirty-four, newly divorced and parenting two little girls, Jan Weatherly is determined to make it on her own doing what she knows do-it-yourself home flipping. With her BFF Pam Bacchus by her side, she purchases their first fixer-upper—a cute Craftsman cottage with quick profit potential in rainy Rainier, Washington. With the first swing of her claw hammer, however, Jan pries back faux cedar panelling and reveals a nude, snow-haired corpse floating in a makeshift aquarium. If that didn’t fully sour their dreams in a plume of formaldehyde-tinged air, Sergeant Daniels arrives and bans the women from the crime scene. Will they continue sleuthing, despite Daniels’s warnings, or simply wait for their dreams of financial independence to fall apart?

My Review

It seems to be slightly crazy to suggest that a murder mystery, or indeed any story with a dead body as a major plot point, could not only be entertaining but also almost comfortable. But some books are just like finally getting to sit down after a long day at work. Corpse in the Craftsman Cottage is one such book. I've never read it before, in fact, this is my first book by this author, but there was something just so familiar and comforting about it.

Jan and Pam are best friends who have both been cheated on by their husbands and are now trying to make their way in the world. Things would be going well, with a house to renovate and the skills to do it, if it weren't for the discovery of a body behind the wall.

I loved both the mystery side of this book and the friendship between the two women. I'm not sure what either of them saw in their ex-husbands, but I can see why they are friends. There's also the hint of a future romance in this book, which just added to the whole mix for me. 

I didn't completely solve the mystery this time, but that doesn't matter. For me it's more about the story than proving how clever I am! This was a great read and I'd love to read more from Jan and Pam.

Author Bio

I'm a storyteller at heart. After retiring from teaching reluctant and eager readers and writers, elementary school-age through college, I've refocused my energy and am spinning yarns once again. I have two novels slated for publication in 2024 through The Wild Rose Press: "Corpse in the Craftsman Cottage," a cozy mystery with a female amateur sleuth duo and a backdrop of home flipping; and "Toxic Torte," a cozy culinary featuring a sassy young newspaper reporter investigating the murder of a caustic restaurant critic. I also have two mid-grade readers available through Perfection Learning Corporation: "The Truth Test" and "Recipe for a Rebel," and an edgy, Indie-published YA, "The Lie." Additionally, I have over 100 publishing credits in short fiction, nonfiction and poetry, in publications as diverse as Vegetarian Journal, Seattle, Black Belt, NW Palate, Palm Springs Life, Bridal Connections and The Binnacle. I recently took first place in short fiction for "What It Takes to Scare a Man," and poetry for "Hope is a Three-Toed Dragon" in a southern California writing contest. I earned an MA in Writing Popular Fiction at Seton Hill University and had the pleasure of learning from some of the best, most creative writers in the business. In my spare time, I braid rugs from upcycled materials, watch the javelinas dance through my back yard, hike with my husband, and swim with my beautiful grandchildren.



1 comment:

  1. Lori Pollard-Johnson's sense of humor was evident throughout this delightful book. Like you, I enjoyed the friendship between the two women and admired their can-do attitude as single moms and house flippers. This is a fun story that I highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete