Thursday 9 April 2020

My Pulse - Hanna Dale

My PulseMy Pulse by Hanna Dale
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My Pulse is a romance with a hint of a suspense element to it. When Tristan moves away from the city to a small town, she finds that it's not just a new life that's waiting for her. From the moment that Owen Gallahanger sets eyes on her, he knows that she's the woman for him. There is a story in their family that when they meet their one, they always know instantly. Owen has always dismissed this idea, but as soon as he sees Tristan he knows that she's it for him.
I got a little bit confused at the beginning of the book. I've not come across a female Tristan before, it's always been a male name with any that I've known, so I thought to begin with that she was a he and it wasn't until I was a little way in that I got my head around who was who and what was what. To confuse things even further, her best friend is called Dylan. Again I assumed we were dealing with a (somewhat camp) male friend, but no, Dylan is also female. Once I'd got my head around all of that, we were into it.
A number of bad things happen to Tristan and it becomes clear that someone is targeting her. It's interesting that she didn't think of who it could be, but I was fairly sure. In many ways, that's a minor part of the storyline with the relationship taking much more of the centre stage.
Things move very quickly between Owen and Tristan. Tristan is reluctant to get involved as quickly as Owen would like and her past gives very good reasons for that. Even without her past, I think most people would be a bit nervous about moving forward so fast with a relationship.
Stella, Tristan's three-year-old daughter was an absolute delight. Often in books, I find that a child character can come off as either much older or younger than they are supposed to be. For me, Stella came across exactly as a three-year-old with the right level of precociousness balanced with a more childlike quality. She was lovely.
This was a really good read and I assume that it's the first part in a series. I hope so as I'd love to read more about the Gallahangar family. I can already see who the next two couples are likely to be.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment