Wednesday 8 April 2020

My Brother's Girl - Sienna Blake

My Brother's Girl


Darren O'Sullivan

Reason #3 To Dislike Kayleigh Scott: she laughed far too loud.

Reason #2 To Really Dislike Kayleigh Scott: her giggle was even worse.


I didn't need her working for me, her damn strawberries and cream shampoo cutting through the smell of petrol oil in my mechanic garage. I liked being on my own in the darkness under the hood. I deserved to be alone.

I didn't need her fingers brushing mine as she passed me the wrench. Didn't need her trying to change things, fix things, to fix me.

I didn't want her around my family, enchanting them with her dimpled smile, her infectious laughter. Didn't need them to fall in love with her... especially not my baby brother, Eoin.

Reason #1 To Really, Really Dislike Kayleigh Scott:

...she was my brother's girl.

My Review

When you start a Sienna Blake book, you always know that you are going to be in for much more than a simple romance story. My Brother's Girl is no exception to this. Darren has a great deal of baggage and it has stopped him from trying to find happiness, believing that he doesn't deserve it. Family to him is everything, so when he finds that he has feelings for his younger brother's girlfriend, he knows that he has to stay away from her. 

Kayleigh also has her issues. The way her parents have treated her as she grew up means that she is frightened to cause problems or to speak up for what she actually wants. This is why, when Eoin sweeps her off her feet, she goes along with the relationship, even though she doesn't feel the same way that he does.

This is a good and thought-provoking read. I felt for Darren throughout the book, struggling between doing what is right and what he wants. I have to admit that I wasn't as keen on Kayleigh. I think that the way that she goes along with Eoin and the relationship even letting him taking it further is awful. Yes, she has issues that make her like this, but ultimately the way she behaves around both men is cruel and at more than one point I thought that they would both be better off without her.

The end of this book is ultimately satisfying. I still wasn't that keen on Kayleigh, but Darren clearly is, so I can let that pass. Overall, this was a good read and I really enjoyed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment