Saturday 13 October 2018

Destiny Fulfilled - Laire McKinney


Destiny Fulfilled
Laire McKinney
Publication date: August 7th 2018
Genres: Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Only love can save them…
Wren O’Hara is waiting for the day she succumbs to mental illness like her mother. When she is attacked by a psychotic client at work, and saved by what must be an angel, she fears the time for insanity has come.
Little does she know, her savior is an immortal warrior druid named Riagan Tenman, and that he will challenge everything she ever thought she knew about reality.
Now Wren must decide if the fantasy unfolding before her is true, or if she has finally lost her mind.


Author Bio:
Laire McKinney is the author of contemporary and fantasy women’s fiction. She believes in a hard-earned happily-ever-after, with nothing more satisfying than passionate kisses and sexy love scenes, endearing characters and complex conflict. When not writing, she can be found traipsing among the wildflowers, reading under a willow tree, or gazing at the moon while pondering the meaning of it all. She lives in Virginia with her family and beloved rescue pup, Lila da Bean.

My Review

I loved the idea behind this story, it was a modern day meets ancient druid supernatural type thing. Wren's mother is suffering from schizophrenia and obsessive-compulsive disorder. Wren is convinced that she is going to become ill with the same things, so when she starts to hear voices and see things that can't possibly be real, then surely this is the start of that. Except, of course, they are real.

When immortal druid warrior Riagan is banished from his world, he has three days to find the love of a woman and love her in return. Only then can he return to his world and save the sacred cauldron. Of course, he soon comes across Wren, whose real first name is destiny and they find that they are drawn to one another.

There was a lot of promise to this story and while the end did work for me, I'm afraid I didn't really buy the instant love. There didn't seem to be any foundation for it and I couldn't really feel any emotional attachment to either Wren or Riagan. It didn't help that he considered raping her at more than one point. No, I'm sorry, it just didn't work for me. As I said, had there been a bit more in the way of falling in love and a little less forcing himself on her, then I'd have liked it more.

Just a small extra niggle. It bothered me the way Riagan talked, one minute he was talking in a sing-songy 'old-fashioned' style, the next he'd use words like okay. I'm no sure immortal druids, who have no knowledge of modern life, such as this one would be using okay. At points, his language made his sound like yoda, rather than someone from the past.

Overall this is a book with a lot of potential and while I enjoyed aspects of it, ultimately it wasn't for me. I can see that some people might really like it though.



XBTBanner1

No comments:

Post a Comment