Friday 29 April 2022

Only For My Daughter - Emma Robinson

 I look at my lovely girl. The child I always promised to keep safe, the child I know I’d love no matter what. I look at her and in that moment, my heart breaks into pieces. Because right now, I am not sure I know her at all…


Julia’s daughter Grace is her whole world. To Julia, she’ll always be the little girl who would put her tiny hand in hers, who she could heal with the smallest kiss, who would trust her mother with everything.

But Grace has changed since becoming a teenager. She’s fallen out with her childhood best friend and has become quiet and distanced. Julia wants more than anything to find a way reach her only daughter. Even if some days it seems impossible, Julia knows her lovely, sunny girl is still in there.

Until today when Grace came home after school, covered in blood, and she’s refusing to speak, except to acknowledge that her former best friend is lying in a coma in hospital.

Julia is forced to ask herself: what could Grace be hiding? She can’t believe her little girl could have done something terrible. But her instincts tell her that Grace 
is keeping a secret. And if it’s what Julia fears it might be, she could lose her fragile, gentle daughter forever.

And – as another mother’s daughter fights for her life – Julia will have to ask herself, how far would she go as a mother to protect the child she loves with her whole heart?

This totally unmissable, heartbreaking, grab-your-tissues story is perfect for fans of Kate Hewitt, Diane Chamberlain and Jodi Picoult.

Author Bio:

Emma Robinson is the author of several women’s fiction novels. She also blogs about the funny side of parenting and has contributed to podcasts such as Funny Women. Whilst her early novels are humorous, her recent work focuses on emotional themes and these novels are both heart-breaking and life affirming. Emma enjoys writing stories which explore the power of family and friendship in the most challenging circumstances.


Emma currently lives in Essex with a husband, two children and a small black dog.

https://motherhoodforslackers.com/

https://www.instagram.com/emmarobinsonuk/


Buy Link:

My Review

I'm often not quite sure how to classify this kind of book. It's not quite a thriller, but also not quite not. The story is told from the point of view of two mothers, both of whom would do anything to protect their daughters. The girls were once best of friends, but something has happened to push them apart and now, things come to a violent and dangerous head.

This book deals with many of the issues that young women have to face, bullying, friendships slipping away and unwanted male attention. It's done in a sensitive way, but this is still a somewhat confronting book. It's easy to feel for both Samantha and Julia as they juggle their own emotions with keeping their daughters protected. I'm not sure that I could entirely relate to either of the women entirely, there are ways that I would have dealt with things differently, but it's hard not to empathise with their situations.

Only for my daughter is a gripping read and one that I would highly recommend. 




No comments:

Post a Comment