Sunday 6 June 2021

Addicted - Anna Ray

 It only makes matters worse that our fathers despise each other.

Addicted by Anna Ray, a dark mafia romance

Reunited after all this time.

I never could have imagined that she was the ballerina on stage.

The one I swore I would have.

Emilia Fierro was just someone I used to know, but now... she’s so much more.

Like light and dark, she seems to contrast me in every way.

I, Nero Nicastro, am meant to inherit my father’s crown as Don Nicastro.

And she’s a Manhattan darling, born and raised in the Upper East Side.

There isn’t space in my future for this girl from my past, yet her pale blue eyes are haunting me.

It only makes matters worse that our fathers despise each other.

My destiny seemed inescapable, but now I wonder if this angelic creature might be my chance for salvation.

My Review

Nero and Emilia knew each other as children. She had a crush on him when they were younger, but he always teased her and didn't really notice her as anything more than a slightly irritating daughter of his mother's friend. Now, years later, he sees her on stage performing Romeo and Juliette and knows that he needs to get to know her. 
The book starts with a ballet performance of Romeo and Juliette and while this isn't a straight modern interpretation of the story, it's clear that it's a big influence. Nero and Emilia's father were once friends but after a business fall out they now hate one another. The chemistry between Nero and Emilia is so strong that it doesn't matter to them how their parents feel.
I do enjoy books where the characters have darker sides to them. Nero is certainly not all hero with his Mafia connections and the things that he is forced to do for his father. He isn't all bad either though and the romance with Emilia certainly brings more of this side to light.
I enjoyed this dark mafia romance and liked reading about Nero and Emilia's world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment