Saturday 14 December 2019

Out of a Dark Reflection - Lexie Conyngham

Out of a Dark Reflection (Murray of Letho, #8)Out of a Dark Reflection by Lexie Conyngham
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I meant to spend a few days reading Out of a Dark Reflection, but as soon as I started reading I couldn't resist keeping going. Fortunately, I've been quite busy with work lately and could do with a bit of time doing very little, so it didn't matter too much that I spent the whole day reading.
I love the Murray books, particularly those, like this one, that also feature his good, but rather eccentric friend Blair.
Murray is spending the season at home in Letho, with his (horrid) wife due to give birth soon. He's not the only one who seems to have given the season a miss. When an old woman is killed in her home, the whole village soon starts to tear itself apart looking for witches and it doesn't seem that anyone is unaffected in one way or another by the hysteria.
I have to admit that I didn't manage to get to the bottom of this one. I had a few ideas that seemed to be in the right direction, but I certainly didn't unravel everything. That isn't really why I read these books. I do enjoy the mystery element and that's what I came for initially. What I really love is Murray himself, the other characters that make up his world (both servants, friends and passing acquaintances) and the historical setting. I don't know if Murray's house is based on a particular real-life house, or rather an amalgamation of them, but I can certainly think of houses that I know that are similar.
There is a short novella that follows this book, I've already downloaded it and will be reading it soon. I'm sure that it won't be long until I return to Murray and the next in the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment