Monday 9 July 2018

A Rogue For Emily - Catherine Hemmerling

A Rogue For Emily (Lady Lancaster Garden Society Series)A Rogue For Emily by Catherine Hemmerling
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I tend to find that historical romances come in one of two types, there are those that are highly researched and really have a feel of the time and those that are essentially modern people who happen to travel in carriages. This was the latter. The book was littered with modern language and Americanisms. At one point a 'Mom' even picked up her child. Combined with the action, ladies dressing up as working people and going out to help out some of these poorer families. Which, just wouldn't have happened. Ladies just wouldn't have behaved like that and there was no explanation of why they would have known about this family. It was almost as though the author was viewing London as a small town or village where everyone knows everyone, no matter what their status. I found historical accuracy to be very lacking. Particularly with the climax of the story, which I won't give away, but it just seemed so far-fetched and not possible at that time, I'm not sure even modern breweries would be able to do that.

There were a lot of other things that just didn't work for me. I can, however, usually let some of them go, if the romance is good. In actual fact, the romance was ok. I quite liked the hero, I liked the idea behind how they start to fall in love and know one another. Sadly though, the writing style wasn't for me. Far too much telling and not enough showing. I think that it was this repetition of telling us how they don't like one another in an early chapter with very little else happening that really stopped my enjoyment, I wouldn't have finished if I didn't feel that I should review for NetGalley.

I know that not everyone is bothered by lack of historical accuracy or the writing style, so this book might well be for you. It just really wasn't for me.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment